Nostalgia is one of the most common topics in popular music, and that’s also true of punk rock and other genres closely related to it. So this time it wasn’t too hard to compile a proper top ten list of the best nostalgic songs ever. (Sorry, John, Paul, George and Ringo, but Yesterday didn’t make it. Don’t give it up though!)
1. Ramones – Do You Remember Rock ‘n’ Roll Radio?
This was Phil Spector’s idea of how the Ramones should have sounded. It actually works, but they used to be better in the old days.
2. Jello Biafra & Mojo Nixon – Nostalgia for an Age That Never Existed
Probably the best lyrics about nostalgia. So true, it hurts. Pure genius.
3. Pulp – Do You Remember The First Time?
Jarvis also made a short film on this topic, part of which you can see here.
4. Buzzcocks – Nostalgia
Surfing on a wave of nostalgia for an age yet to come.
5. Bankrupt – Rewound
You knew this one was coming, didn’t you?
6. NOFX – 13 Stitches
Punk was better in the old days. (Wish there was a better video for this on YouTube.)
7. The Jam – When You’re Young
Even nostalgia was better in the old days.
8. The Clash – Stay Free
This one’s about a childhood friend of Mick’s who went to jail for armed robbery. Life was tough in those good old days.
9. Pennywise – Yesterdays
– Can we go back to those days when everything was simple?
– No, we can’t. We can write songs about them though.
10. The Offspring – The Kids Aren’t Alright
When we were young the future was so bright. From here, the past looks brighter. Life’s unfair. Easily, the best Offspring song ever.